Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

[HC TSL No.2]Notes: Ewing, Riley look back at Rockets

Notes: Ewing, Riley look back at Rockets
By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Sept. 5, 2008, 6:17PM

After many years and accomplishments, including taking a place in the Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday, former Knicks center Patrick Ewing and former Knicks coach Pat Riley still seemed to carry the disappointment of the 1994 NBA Finals loss to the Rockets.

"Really, I should have the college and NBA championship," said Ewing, who led Georgetown past Hakeem Olajuwon and the University of Houston to the NCAA championship. "All I can do is take my hat off to him. It was hard being in Houston (as a Rockets assistant coach) and sitting in the players lounge and seeing that damn shot and you guys (the media) rubbing it in my face, showing the replay."

Riley said he enjoyed watching the competition between Olajuwon and Ewing in that series. He said the difference might have been a Rockets rookie.

"It really bothers me," Riley said. "I always think I could have done something just a little bit more. I don't know what it was. We jumped out to a 15-7 lead in the first quarter in Game 6 and I thought our guys were ready. I go back and I always second guess myself on that series. When you get there, you got to win it. The team I had in 2006 (in Miami) had a little more awareness about the now.

"The biggest shot in that series was Sam Cassell's (the Game 3 game-winner). We went down (to Houston) ahead 3-2 and couldn't close it out. We did the same thing in Miami, went to Dallas 3-2 and closed it out in six. I said, `If we don't win it tonight, it's going to be hellbent for leather with Hakeem,' and that's what it turned out to be."

Land of the giants

The induction of Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing to the Hall of Fame on Friday reminded observers of the era of the dominant big men and the relevant absence of players with their style now.

Olajuwon said traditional big men are not gone for good.

"It's a cycle," Olajuwon said. "Traditionally, the cycle comes every once in a while. We were lucky and blessed to have another big man. Now it will go back in the cycle where there is very, very few. That's why you see all the teams globally searching for anywhere they can find a true big man. It's always special to have a big man on the team that can play."

What's up, Hakeem?

Since his retirement, Hakeem Olajuwon has been living and studying in Jordan for much of the year and living in Houston each summer.

He has decided to reverse that schedule for reasons he was too busy to notice during his playing career. Apparently, it's hot in Houston in the summer.

"I think I want to change my program," Olajuwon said. "I always come in the summer. It's too hot in the summer. You would think it is so basic.

Now I think I'll come during the season, the wintertime, and go back (to Jordan) in the summer. I enjoy also coming to the games.

"It seems like it's so obvious. When I came in the spring, I was like 'Wow, the weather is so beautiful. I should be here in this time of the year.' "

Retirement: Part I

Hakeem Olajuwon looks as if he could still play and said he still works out on a basketball court to stay fit. His induction into the Hall of Fame, however, ends any temptation.

"I'm in the Hall of Fame now," he said, "so I have to keep retired."

Retirement: Part II

Though he has returned to coaching before, Pat Riley has said that his induction to the Hall of Fame will mark the end of his NBA coaching career. He remains the Miami Heat president and said Friday's ceremony mark a beginning of the next stage of his life.

"It's almost like a funeral," Riley said. "Getting into the Hall of Fame, everybody was like apologizing to me. 'Well, you're ending your coaching career.' I said, 'No, it's a beginning.'

"The Hall of Fame is the beginning of something else. I don't know what. Coaching might be behind me, but leading is not. It's a great country. America has given me this opportunity. I think there is something else out there."


尤因、莱利的94残念,大梦的退役生活
——笔记:尤因,莱利回顾与火箭的点滴过去
作者:乔纳森•费根,休斯敦纪事版权所有,2008年9月5日 18:17

Notes:Ewing,Riley look back at Rockets

By JONATHAN FEIGEN copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle Sept.5, 2008, 6:17PM

在多年之后,他们满载荣誉,并在名人堂中占有一席之地,但是前尼克斯中锋帕特里克•尤因(Patrick Ewing)和前教练帕特•莱利(Pat Riley)似乎仍然对1994总决赛输给火箭无法释怀。

“ 真的,大学和NBA的冠军头衔都应该是我的”,尤因说。在1984年的NCAA决赛中,他带领乔治城大学(Georgetown University)击败了哈基姆•奥拉朱旺(Hakeem Olajuwon)所在的休斯敦大学(University of Houston)并获得了NCAA冠军。尤因说:“我所能做的就是向他(奥拉朱旺)致敬。在休斯敦的工作很艰难(作为火箭的助理教练),坐在球员休息室里 看到那该死的最后一球,还有你们这些媒体记者对我的不依不饶,过去的那个时刻不停的被回放。”

莱利说他很享受观看奥拉朱旺和尤因在那个系列赛中的对决,让他感到惊异的可能是火箭的一个新秀球员。

“ 这真的很让我困扰,”莱利说。“我总认为我能把事情做得更好一些。我不明白结果为什么是那样。我们在第六场的第一节以15比7开局,我认为我的队员们都准 备好了赢下这场比赛。每当我回想的时候我总是质疑我在那个系列赛指挥。当你处在那样的境地,你就必须赢下来。2006年我带的球队(迈阿密热火)意识到了 这一点。”

“那个系列赛的大心脏属于萨姆•卡塞尔(Sam Cassell),他是系列赛第三场的制胜者。我们带着3比2的领先优势来到休斯敦但是却没能终结对手。在迈阿密我们同样3比2领先,但是我们来到达拉斯 并最终赢下了第六场。我曾说‘如果我们今晚不能拿下比赛,那就是哈基姆的天下了,’后来结果的确是这样的。”

巨人的时代
哈基姆•奥拉朱旺和帕特里克•尤因被介绍进入名人堂让人回忆起那个大个子占统治地位的时代,如今这样的球员几乎和他们的风格一起绝迹了。

奥拉朱旺认为传统的大个子球员不会永远的消失。

“ 这是一种周期,”奥拉朱旺说。“传统上来说,这个周期会每隔一段时间出现一次。我们很幸运的被神眷顾,得到了另一个大个子。现在将要回到那个缺少大个子的 时期,这也是所有的球队都在满世界的寻找真正的大个子球员的原因。一个球队里如果有一个能打球的大个子总会显得很特别。”

哈基姆,最近过的如何?
自从退役以后,哈基姆•奥拉朱旺每年大部分的时间都在约旦的学习和生活中度过,除此之外,每个夏天他都会回到休斯敦住上一段时间。

现在他已经决定将时间表转换一下,因为当球员的时候太忙,没有注意到原来休斯敦的夏天是如此之热。

“我觉得我应该改变一下我的计划,”奥拉朱旺说。“我总是在夏天来,但是大家都知道,这里的夏天很热。现在我打算尝试在赛季中期,冬天的时候来,夏天再回约旦。这样我还能享受一下球赛。”

“做出这样的决定并不困难。当我春天来休斯敦的时候,我会说‘哇,这气候实在是太棒了,在每年的这个时候我都应该在这里才对。’”

哈基姆的退役生活
哈基姆•奥拉朱旺看起来似乎还能参加比赛,他说他仍然通过打球锻炼来保持体形。但是他已经被介绍进入名人堂,彻底终结了重返赛场的可能。

“我现在已经进入名人堂了,”他说,“所以我得保持退役状态才行。”

莱利的退隐计划
虽然之前再次出山执教了一段时间,但是帕特•莱利说被介绍进入名人堂意味着他NBA执教生涯的结束。他仍然是迈阿密热火的主席,周五进入名人堂的仪式对他来说意味着下阶段人生的开始。

“这就像一个葬礼,”莱利说。“进入了名人堂,每个人的都很遗憾难过的对我说。‘你不得不告别你的教练生涯了。’我说,‘不,这是一个开始。’”

“名人堂是某些事情的开始,我现在还不知道那会是什么。执教对我来说是过去的事情了,但是前面的是什么我还不清楚。这是一个伟大的国家,美国给了我这个机会,我认为我还能在这里发现其他东西。”



翻译完工时间:9-07
翻译作品链接:http://bbs.hoopchina.com/read.php?fid=131&tid=423559&toread=1
招工连接:http://bbs.hoopchina.com/read.php?fid=131&tid=422670&toread=1
原文标题: Notes: Ewing, Riley look back at Rockets
原文链接:http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5986087.html/story5.html?b=1220846400%5E1695008
原文作者: JONATHAN FEIGEN
译者:Nevup

No comments: